Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Applesauce Cookies

Maybe it’s the cold weather, or perhaps the fact that because of my lack of employment I am home all the time, or maybe it’s pastry withdrawal since I don’t get them free from work anymore, but whatever the reason I’ve been on a baking kick lately.


I am really not a cookie person, I don’t generally make them or eat them but at this time of year there is something very appealing about them. Plus they make the perfect snack to bring to a party. So for a recent get together I made a batch of oatmeal raisin applesauce cookies from Martha Stewart’s Cookie book. This is the first recipe I have tried from that book but generally I find her recipes to be well tested and very reliable. This one was no exception.


The addition of applesauce to a traditional oatmeal raisin cookie allows you to cut down on the butter without sacrificing any of the moisture. (Plus I got a chance to use our homemade applesauce!) My only addition was a little bit of cinnamon to the batter (because I like my oatmeal raisin cookies spiced). I even followed her recipe for the frosting; it is just water, confectioner’s sugar and maple syrup.



The cookies were fabulously moist and chewy (I’m not a fan of dry cookies) and they were quickly devoured. I don’t think I will even consider making oatmeal raisin cookies without applesauce again.


Since my copy of this book is a loaner from the library I will have to test a few more recipes before I decide if it’s useful enough to own so keep you eyes out for those too!


P.S. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment