Since I wanted to duplicate the pair I already owned (and me and patterns don’t play so well together) I decided to just wing it. In order to copy the shape of the pants we just folded the pants along the inseam and traced the shape onto paper. Once we had the basic outline of the front and back panel of a leg we added seam allowances.
Once I had the pattern for the front and back leg pieces I cut these out of some cheap remnant fabric I found at a fabric store and sewed them together. I used a very wide piece of elastic for the waistband and covered it with jersey to imitate the style of the original pair.
Now all they need to be complete is for the bottom of the legs to be hemmed. Which I will…eventually…because I’m really bad about finishing projects.
The Original Pair: Note I left out the drawstring (since they fit so well) and the lovely but unnecessary velour detailing on my pair.
The New Handmade Pair: Note that the legs are clearly too long and still not hemmed. Also, the pattern of the two different legs doesn't match up at all in the front. It bugs mom but I don't really care. I don't usually look at my pants while I sleep. But a good thing to keep in mind if I ever make myself a pair of plaid pants (please stop me if I ever bring up that possibility again.)