Friday, May 29, 2009

Broken Key Fix

(I hope you're prepared for the most exciting and revolutionary craft project of this decade.)

I always though my purse was a tough place. With all those things jostling for space (keys, wallet, nail file, pocket knife, ping pong balls, chapstick, and moisturizer to name just a few) it is no surprise when the occasional pen gets broken. But when my boyfriend presented me with a broken key I realized that men's pockets may be even worse than my purse.

To be fair this key was crappy to begin with, instead of a metal top it was all plastic and I think it might have actually been partially broken when he acquired it anyway.


Whose brilliant idea was it to make the top out of plastic anyway? Seriously, I want to meet that person and have a word with them.

When it finally broke completely I realized it was a rather dire situation. With no way to attach it to a key ring it was just asking to get lost. (And trust me, he'd lose it.)

So I sewed a solution which I think was rather clever if I may say so.


It was basically a rectangle of fabric I folded in half and then sewed up along both sides. I then flipped it inside out and cut a little slit in the folded end. I reinforced the slit like a button hole so I had a tube with the key sticking out one end and the other end was open. I folded the open end over a key ring and sewed it down. Here you can see the side that was folded down:


And here you can see my reinforcing:


I also made a point of choosing nice manly fabric. Had it been for myself it probably would have been purple and floral. The best part was that it took all of about five minutes. I know I could have just gone and gotten a new key made but in my experience when you copy a key the copies tend not to work as well as the original.

I'll even admit I was tempted to make decorative floral covers for all my keys...but that would have been a little too Martha for me.

15 comments:

  1. I will have to remember that! I know I've had a broken key, now I'll know what to do. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius! I mean it...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this idea!!! My remote for my car broke in the same way. It still functions, but I can't put it on my keychain so I made a little pouch for it, sewed it shut and put a little grommet on the end for a key ring. I've used it for years so I know which buttons are which without looking anyway! THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea! I would have just gone and had another made. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is genius, i wish i had a broken key!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I AM going to make little fabric covers for my keys, at least the house one because I can never tell it apart from the garage key.

    ReplyDelete
  7. do sew them! oi plan to crochet some (which is not entirely my idea, i have seen some knitted wooly ones and thought crocheted cotton ones migt be even better))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how to sew... Is there any way I can pay you to make one for me? I'm completely serious because it costs 170 dollars for a new key to my car. E-mail me at anna.m.beck@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so brilliant! I would never have thought of that, I would have just been a great big idiot and shelled out for a new key *cough* again *cough*. Thanks for this! I really appreciate this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea!
    I wonder if it works for those keys that have computer chips, I bought a key cover for one but it blocked the sensor :0(

    ReplyDelete
  11. alternate solution
    i have the same key, it doesn't contain electronics so you can just cut into it. use a dremel, and a grinding tip, and cut off/grind flat the bits that stick out. then switch to a drill bit and hold steady..and drill a new hole for the keychain. takes a while since you go through metal, but its not going to break again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea. But I can't find anywhere to purchase. My wife has two such broken keys, well now she has only 1 being she lost it! These keys with electronics are over $100 to replace! But still even today, don't see anywhere something like this can be purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the solution to my problem. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi there can i pay you to make one of these for me? My boyfriend's key broke as well and I can't find a solution anywhere that's as clever as yours! if you see this you can email me at laurabelleray@gmail.com I would really appreciate it! thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea. Thank you will try it on my broken key.

    ReplyDelete