Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bad Blogger!

I've been very negligent in my posting lately, apparently being unemployed or underemployed is more conducive to blogging than having an intensive internship. Luckily (or not so luckily) you haven't missed out on much because I've been too busy to do much crafting and the weather is so bad here that not much is going on in the garden either.

There are a few interesting things though. I believe I mentioned earlier that I had bought all kinds of crazy things to start from seed this year and now some of them are actually producing!

Here is a ground cherry in action:


And here is a tomatillo:


Although I knew the ground cherry and tomatillo were fairly closely related (both being husk nightshades) I didn't realize how similar they were. Before they fruited the only really distinguishing characteristic between the two plants was the purple vein running along the stems of the ground cherries.

I'm actually really excited about both of them too. Not only are they are producing heavily (provided nothing happens before they ripen) but they are also really attractive plants (not nearly as random and awkward as a tomato) with pretty little flowers.

I also have jalapenos!


The one thing that concerns me is that after it produced these three it stopped flowering and shows no sign of starting again, possibly due to the bizarre weather we had. If it indeed is done producing those will be expensive peppers ($1 a piece!).

Finally we actually have...tomatoes!


For those of you who are already effected by the nasty late blight that is devastating tomato crops all over the northeast...don't worry these sucked anyway. I mean they were really bad, mealy and flavorless. Again the crappy conditions (cold and wet through all of June and July pretty much) are probably to blame.

I'd rather not end a post on such a sad note as the generally badness of New England tomatoes this year so here is some absolutely professional looking bread that mom made.


Although the word rustic seems to fit I also can't help shaking feeling that the one on the right kind of looks like a toe. Sorry if that puts you off bread for awhile.

5 comments:

  1. Once your jalapenos are picked you should start getting new blooms. At least that is how it works down here in Florida! Happy gardening to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread looks awesome!

    Our garden is pretty much junk this year too...we got some tomatoes and peppers but that's about it! Here we go next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca, I'm going to need about three months to catch up on reading your blog and looking at all the beautiful photos! The bread makes my mouth water! Love, Horsey (aka Birdlegs)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao! Bellissimo il tuo blog e bellissime le tue idee! Grazie per i tutorials! Thank you! Un saluto dall'Italia, ciao pia

    ReplyDelete